Preparation timeOver 60 min
140 gof pitted and roughly chopped Medjool dates (Approx. 8 dates)
2very ripe bananas (160g chopped weight)
1 tbspvanilla paste
pinchof fine sea salt
100gBenecol Buttery spread (plus extra spread to serve)
170 gplain flour
2 tspbaking powder
1 tspbicarbonate of soda
70 g66% cocoa solid chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 160c FAN (180c convection oven)
- Add chopped dates and 150 ml of water to a small saucepan and simmer for a few minutes,
until the dates soften and become a chunky puree.
- Blitz the bananas, vanilla paste, fine sea salt and the cooled dates in a blender.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Benecol spread and the eggs, then mix in the flour, baking
powder and bicarb.
- Mix in the date and banana puree.
- Stir in all but a few pecans and chocolate chips (reserving some for the top of the loaf)
- Line a loaf tin with lightly greased baking paper and pour in the mix. Sprinkle the nuts and
chocolate on the top and bake in the oven for 45mins-1hr or until a skewer comes out clean. Check with a skewer after 45 minutes so that you know where you are.
- Let cool in the tin (you will need a 2lb loaf tin) for 10 minutes before turning it out to cool properly on a wire rack for at least an hour before slicing and spreading with a little more Benecol spread to serve.
Products used in this recipe